No oven =(
In case the you couldn't figure it out. This is where the toilet is.
I always hang my coat like this. It is super easy to get to in the morning
In other news, the kids at school finally started getting used to me being there this week. It was my best week so far ^.^. The kids used to whisper things like "She's tall." "Her legs are long." "Her teeth are white" "She's skinny!" "She's pretty." "Her noes is big!" etc. So after I responded to a few of these whispers, they learned I really could speak and understand Japanese and have since wanted to engage me in games and conversation. So thus, I have many interesting stories about school that I thought I'd share a few.
Ch. 1 Fan Club
So on Friday, April 15th, I ate lunch in one of my 5th grade classes. As I was eating, I felt like someone was staring at me, so I scanned the room and found a girl just staring at me. I smiled which caused her to turn to her friend whisper something and her friend then started staring at me. They continued this pattern for a few minutes before I finally asked them "What is it? Do you need something?" in Japanese. They stared at me again but this time as if I had spoken a foreign language. They continued to whisper and I tried to ignore it. Finally, one of them came to the desk I was eating at bent down and removed some toilet paper that was hanging from my chair (there was a roll attached to my chair by a hanger for anyone who needs to use it. They have it in all the class rooms.). 'Oh,' I thought, 'they were just nervous about coming and getting some tissue. That's what it was!' I was not exactly right...
On the following Monday, we had a school assembly. Afterwards, while we were cleaning up, the same two girls along with 4 others were huddled in a circle taking turns looking at me and whispering. So, I walked over to them and asked them plainly "Why are you staring at me? Is something wrong with how I look today? Is there a booger on me?" After they stopped giggling, they informed me it was because I was so pretty they were talking about me. The English teacher joined in at this point. I won't bore you with the details.
Anyway, I returned to that school on Thursday. Now I had made it my personal goal to go out of the staff room every recess and see what the kids were doing so they could get used to me being there. I had set up a certain path. I'd go see what the 3rd graders were up to (they seem the least afraid of me), then the 4th, 5th, 6th, and finally the 1st and 2nd graders (who seem a little nervous around me). The classrooms and stairways are set up to make this the easiest route to and from the staff room. So anyway, I finally made my way to the 5th graders part of the school and there were the two girls from the previous week. They saw me, giggled, and turned around. However, that was the direction I was heading. So I stopped and talked with some other 5th graders, and when they tried to pass me I jumped as if I was going to grab for them (I would never actually grab for them of course). They screamed and ran for the stairwell. The same stairwell I use to get to the 6th graders. I told them I was going up and they could pass without me coming after them. They ran toward their class room. As I was climbing the stairs, my spider senses started tingling and one was right behind me on the stairs. She yelled for her friend to come and then asked if she could shake my hand..."We're Stephanie fans" they said smiling. I shook both of their hands and then they wanted to talk with me. We talked about hair. One has hair like mine that curls under on one side and out on the other. I told her that's what mine did (so they'd know I'm human too) and she seemed pleased that we had something in common.
As for the rest of the girls on Monday, I ate lunch with one of them on Friday. She asked me if I had time at recess to come to the music room. I did have time, so I went to find 6 girls ready to play me a song. They played me 負けないで and the James Bond theme song. I used my fingers to pretend I had a gun, but it is not a good idea to make horn players laugh. So I used it right at the end for the "Pow". They told me to come back when I had free time and they'd play me another song.
Ch. 2 Why don't you become an Idol?
Thursday, I was waiting for the train and the kids had gotten out early, so I saw a few playing around the station. They kept coming over to talk to me and then running off to go play. Well eventually three 6th grade girls came running towards me. They complimented my style (I do look good in my work clothes) and then asked my age. They then wanted to know my weight. I told them (not something I'm embarrassed by). They started talking really fast and then told me to join AKB48 (popular idol group with 48 members ages 13-20. I only know one by name because she is often on TV and is kind of funny). I reminded them of my age. They then told me to join SDN48 (a group of girls in their mid 20s by the same producer as AKB48). I asked them who would teach them English? They said the Japanese English teacher would >.<. I reminded them that if I did, I couldn't hang out with them. That made them go "Oh...right..." and then they asked me who I liked in AKB48. Thank heavens I knew one member's name!
Ch 3 Skinny Pig
So, as I said above. I try to go and hang out with the kids at recess so they can see that I'm fun and that I do know Japanese. Well on one particular day, I was walking by the a third grade class room when two girls came out to say 'hi'. They told me their names and I repeated them. They really liked how I said it because the kept calling people over to add to the line. So I went down the line over and over again trying to remember all their names. It was during this endeavor that they noticed the size of my noes. They commented on it and took turns touching the tip. I smashed it down and also used suck my upper lip up. They said it was so big it was like an elephant. So, I imitated an elephant. They started shouting out requests. I believe the order was bunny, panda, elephant (again), squirrel, and then pig. I ended up doing the pig one a few times because they kept calling more students over to witness it. That is when the noticed how skinny I am. They took turns touching my stomach and decided to give me the nick name 'Skinny Pig'. It was at that time the bell rang and recess was over. They told me to come again anytime ^.^;.
i LOVE it! You are so much fun! The students sound hilarious. :)
ReplyDeleteNice, you were meant to torment little kids :P
ReplyDelete