Ch. 4 A new nickname
I eat lunch with the students everyday. Frankly my first few lunches were extremely awkward since the kids didn't know me very well, and they didn't want to engage me in much conversation. Honestly, they probably weren't sure of my Japanese level because now I can't get them to shut up. It's all good, though. I'm glad I moved from a place where I was wanted to a place where I was wanted.
Continuing on, the first really good lunch I had both food wise and conversation wise was in a class 5-4 (5th grade, class 4 which will just be referred to as 5-4 from now on). It started out the same awkward way as the rest of them until I asked two girls sitting next to me what exactly was on my plate. Their reply was "Oh that's menchi katsu." I then asked what that was (click here for the wiki page). They replied "it's menchi katsu." I was still confused, so they kept saying it hoping I would somehow magically learn the meaning from the word alone. It turned into a showdown of who could say menchi katsu the best way. We decided a sing-song version of it was best. (Their home room teacher was nice enough to tell me it was hamburger on the inside while this was going on).
Anyway, after that day whenever I met one of those girls from 5-4 we wouldn't say 'hello' but rather we'd sing 'mench katsu' and point our fingers like guns. Other students from 5-4 noticed and started doing it as well. It has become a great inside joke among us. As a matter of fact we have been asked by multiple students and teachers why we do it and our reply has always been "it's a 5-4 thing." I actually had a student from 5-1 try to greet me in that manner and I had to shake my head and say "No. No. You are from 5-1. No menchi katsu for you." (Don't feel bad for her. 5-1 calls me Joyce. They asked me what my full name was and were so intrigued that I had 2 names they decided they'd call me 'Joyce'. )
The menchi katsu greeting has evolved recently into a nickname. One of the original girls started just saying 'menchi' and letting me finish the 'katsu' part. So naturally it is my new nickname. I call her katsu (cutlet) and she calls me menchi (minced) >.<
Ch. 5 Mama Mia
First, her real name is not Mia; however, she is my tiny 10-year old mom. She will be referred to as Mia, though, since I don't want to jeopardize my students' privacy. Also, this does not necessarily reflect things Mom has said to me. Mia is just very mom-like. Here are some conversations I've had with her.
M: How old are you, Stephanie?
S: I'm 26.
M: If you are going to get married before 30 you need to get a boyfriend now.
S(laughing): What?!
M: Seriously, you better confess your love to someone.
S: Ok, like who?
M: How about 5-3's teacher?
M(grabbing me from behind): Wow! You're skinny! Do you eat properly?
S: Yes. I eat. I eat a lot. Trust me.
Later at lunch. I ate in Mia's class in her group
M: Why aren't you eating your natto?
S: I hate natto. I hate the smell, the texture. Just looking at makes me want to vomit!
M: This is why you are skinny. I'll let you have my milk if you eat your natto.
S: No thanks, Mom.
Later a 5th grade boy started teasing me about my 'horrible' Japanese at recess. So I told him to speak English. He didn't because Mia came by
M: Stephanie, play nice!
S: Yes, Mom...
For the record, I would have complimented any semi-comprehensible English word the boy would have said. That is my job, after all. It was just super satisfying to see the look on his face when I asked him speak in English.
Mia is a sweetheart too. She knows I'm taking the JLPT 2 next month and has been quizzing me. She even dragged me to the library to show me books I could read to practice. We got distracted from it, though, when the librarian showed me their English books section. I ended up reading a few books to the 5 students still in the library after school. We got even more distracted when we found a "Where's Waldo?" book >.<. They call "Waldo" "Wally" in Japan.
Ch. 6 Getting trapped and slapped in a stairwell
Ok, it really isn't as terrifying as the title suggests. But when you teach your students the high-five game you do get cornered to play with everyone and their sisters' boyfriends. The 'high-five' game you ask? You know the one. Give me five! On the side! Up high?! Down low. Too slow!! Yes that one. I'm pretty sure all the 5th graders, half the 6th graders, and five 4th graders now know how to say 'slow' in English. Now you may be thinking that that game isn't that fun. But if you do a gloating dance when someone misses, you will always get him or her to return to play again. The kids also like to bring new students to watch the white girl dance. And I will say, gloating is super fun. Also, they totally want to make you miss so they can do a gloating dance. I played this game for well over an hour on Monday.
That's it for story time now. Perhaps next time I'll tell the tale of the 6th grade brat who likes to pick on me in front of people but has perfectly normal conversations when no one is in earshot (remind you of someone? *cough*Ilise*cough*. Well except she does sports =P). Or perhaps I'll put up a link of the dance I do with the kids. Hmm...for now it is time for bed.
Good night.
I love it! Especially your Mia comments. They are almost as good as the S2I's. Hee hee
ReplyDeleteLove you and miss you bunches you fantastic woman!