5.17.2010

Quarantined

Ok. So, I have the mumps. Let's just get that right out in the open. My face is a little swollen, mostly on the left side. My left ear hurts a little, and my left tonsil is a little bigger than normal. The pain is nothing that I cannot ignore at the moment. On Saturday I woke up with both sides slightly swollen and it was painful to eat. I was hoping it was an allergic reaction. Sunday was the same, so I stayed away from church since there are small children there. Today, my left side puffed out and I have not appetite. Below is the official diagnosis. The one with the circle is おたふく風邪 which is the mumps.
But anyway, to miss school without getting any absences counted against you for the mumps you have to have it declared 'the mumps' by a doctor. So I headed over to my local clinic (where the only speak Japanese, mind you) to start my adventure. I gave them my insurance card, and they took turns guessing in what order my name went (Sarver Stephanie Joyce is what is written on it). 'Joyce-san' 'Sabar Stephanie-san?' etc.
Anyway, I only waited like 5 minutes (1.2 songs on my walkman) before the doctor was available. My doctor looked like this:
 This is Morning Musume's producer Tsunku(つんく♂). And yes you need the male symbol. That is just how he roles. It some how made the slight nervousness I was feeling go away though. Weird huh? Weirder: I wanted my doctor to ask me to sing him a song. Just for fun.^.^ 
But anyway, I told him what was wrong. He felt my neck and jaw. He asked me if I had been exposed to the virus and if I had the MMR shots. I told him yes and yes. He asked me if I need a prescription pain killer; I said I didn't (sorry Mom =P). I then asked him if I needed to miss class. He said since the university only had adults, there should be no reason for me to miss class and that I should only experience swelling for 5-days (so it should be gone by Thursday). I thanked him, got a copy of the diagnosis, and then stopped by a pharmacy to pick up some ibuprofen since I was running low and only expected the pain to become more annoying. 
Since I have Japanese National Health insurance, I only have to pay 30%. Wohoo. $8 to see the doctor!
I then contacted the international center with my diagnosis. I shortly received a phone call from Watanabe-san (a life-saver if you study abroad). She said the common procedure was was to be quarantined for a week. I told her that he said it should be a 5-day affliction, and it was decided that I could return to school when the swelling was gone. 
On a funny note, as I was leaving the clinic a small group of elementary school kids were walking along the sidewalk. I thought 'Great, I am supposed to avoid children.' So I held my breath, but then one boy was being sassy and said こんにちは(konnichwa) and giggled. I had to reply. I must not let sass go un-replied to! (Un and re...can you really do that?). Anyway, I replied back which cause the group of boys to run away laughing. (hahaha a foreigner can say 'hello'...)
On another funny note, it has been the perfect weather since my face puffed up...God really knows I love irony, huh? I mention this because soon the rainy season will start, so I was going to make the best of the last weeks in May. I guess I can sit by the window or on my balcony... 

4 comments:

  1. What, no pictures of your face. I am disappointed. :P Seriously though, I am glad you are alright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA つんく! I would have been more frightful if the doctor looked like koharu! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? MMR's not effective, eh? Stupid vaccines. If you don't post a picture of your mumpiness that's fine but at least visually document your misery for kicks and giggles later. I'm glad you're finding the irony amid annoyance. Laughter IS the best medicine. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMR is effective, but if you have had two shots, it is 90% effective for mumps. If it was not effective at all, many people would get the disease. Also, those who receive the shot, sometimes still get the mumps and only 50% of those actually show symptoms. Plus, your immune system does change during puberty. Dang hormones.

    ReplyDelete