10.26.2009

Teacher's Pet

As many of you know, I am an English teacher over here for an English Speaking Society (ESS). I have taught two lessons so far, and the students are great. They really want to learn, so it makes teaching easy.

Anyway, when I arrived for my second week of teaching I found 3 of these waiting for me. She picked them at her parents' house and thought I might like to try them.


It is a persimmon. I had no idea how to eat it, so we had a discussion on the proper way to eat it in one of my classes. Apparently, you are supposed to peel it and eat it like an apple. I just cut them open though and eat them like slices.

They aren't bad. Here in Japan a lot of people have persimmon trees. While walking to school I often see crows swoop down and pick them off trees. I was not sure if humans were supposed to eat them. But, we can and they are pretty tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment