I landed around 8:30, so I decided to head to a snow amusement park where they had snow mobiles!! I was really excited to ride one, but it ended up being a mini-snowmobile...and the speedometer was a sticker! I knew I should have switched to the 4 wheelers at that time, but I just love snowmobiles...At the park I was able to ski, snow tube and snag golf for free too.
From there I went to Sapporo and had lunch.
Ghengis Khan Don!
From there, I went to check in and then the magic began.
Animals
Check out the detail!
They were all lit up at night.
TOTORO!
These are Mamebashi. They are beans with ears and faces. They have some funny CMs.
Chibi Mariko-chan in a not so chibi form!
PONYO!
It's a me, Mario! (I took these for you, Konrad. Game on!)
Ramen in ice form!
T-Rex!
These are real fish in the sculpture.
In honor of the Doll Festival next month, the Emperor and the Empress
There were ice slides EVERYWHERE! There were even some at the zoo I went to. And tubing. You could tube almost anywhere.
The ice sculptures were at another site only like a 5 minute walk from the snow sculpture site. Luckily there was an underground shopping arcade connecting them cause it was cold. I didn't take all of these on my first day (obviously from the lighting). I returned to both sites multiple times while I was buying souvenirs or running around with other exchange students.
Here's a picture of me, Mom. This was one of the adorable characters wondering around the festival site. Actually I found some other characters getting into costume behind a souvenir stand. That's just cold!
Anyway, on my second day, I headed to Hokkaido-Jingu (shrine) and the zoo nearby it. Since it is winter, they had the wild cats inside with only a sheet of glass between you and the wild beast. It was awesome! I could put my hand right over the tiger's face! The lions also started playing (and roaring). It was very cool. I cannot recall being that close to something that can bite my throat off.
The main shrine
Hokkaido ruined my streak. I got little luck this time...and then I drew another one and got 'uncertain luck'. You really shouldn't try your luck if it is cast 'little'.
"What's this? The lions are roaring again?"
It's the year of the Tiger, baby!
So sleepy
You can touch them if they walk onto the stone platform...but they didn't.
This sweet little girl was sleeping peacefully...
And then some people came in who had no idea how to walk. She did not look happy.
The wolf knew how it was done. Lay still and pose. That'll keep the humans happy.
On my last day, I hung out with Kasper and Emilie (who I also met up with for dinner the night before) and we toured Hokkaido University and the parks around Sapporo. Some parks were closed since it was the dead of winter, though.
The founder of Hokkaido University: William S. Clark
This gives you an idea of how much snow there is in Sapporo

They had free skiing at one park, so Kasper and I tried it out. Emilie had a fever, so she sat this out. Anyway, I think we both prefer snowboarding.

This gives you an idea of how much snow there is in Sapporo
They had free skiing at one park, so Kasper and I tried it out. Emilie had a fever, so she sat this out. Anyway, I think we both prefer snowboarding.
My snow angel. You can see Kasper's legs in the back. He's making his first snow angel ever.
And before I flew home, we went to a beer museum. I was secretly hoping I'd have enough time to go to their restaurant which had all you can eat Ghenis Khan >.>. Anyway, I learn that Japanese beer is made by elves! Gotta do something in the off season, right?
I really enjoyed the food in Hokkaido. Not that the food in Tokyo is anything to complain about, but in Sapporo they have Ghengis Khan, which I ate 3 helpings of. Anyway, here is my tribute to their food. You'll notice a lot of it is half eaten stuff. My priority was eating first, take pictures later.
Melon Juice-nummy
A few pieces of Ghengis Khan-You're lucky there was any to take a picture of
Crab legs-yummy taste, not so good texture, and a PITA to remove from the shell
Potato ice cream-it tasted much like vanilla
This is Kasper. He is holding Guarana Cola, a drink only found in Hokkaido. It was after I drank half of it that I remembered guarana is a fruit often found in energy drinks. Kasper said he had heard it contained as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. I looked on the label. It contained 3 times as much caffeine as coffee!
A sushi conveyor belt-rotating numminess
This sushi is my favorite. I am not sure what it is, but I always find them at conveyor belt places. I'm told it's most likely Tai (sea bream) which is not cheap.
Some of you are probably wondering why I'm eating fish. I decided to try some less disgusting looking sushi while out with friends and found I like maguro (tuna) and tai. Plus, you can get cooked meat at these sushi places.
Anyway, that's all I have to report from there. Next stop is Okinawa!
Awesome pics. Did you try to lick one of the sculptures? :P
ReplyDeleteI guess thats what you call chilled ramen=P
ReplyDeleteOkinawa! My bro loved Okinawa! Take lots of pictures so I can see what was so great because all I got out of him was that everyone needed to go there, it was very pretty and something about prostitutes. Eh, but that's Jon for ya.
ReplyDeleteI'll take lots of pictures! Hopefully not of prostitutes, though...
ReplyDeleteI kinda wanted to know if the ramen sculpture tasted like ramen (Sapporo is famous for ramen. There's even a ramen ally)
Awesome pictures Steph! Konrad loved the Mario sculpture. He had a big smile on his face. Elena saw the picture of you and said. "Oh, Steph! I love her!"
ReplyDeleteWe just saw Ponyo! So now the Ponyo ice sculpture takes on a whole new meaning for us! Ponyo, Ponyo little fishie in the SEA!!! Song is forever stuck in my head.
ReplyDelete